Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 37: 5/06/09: Sarria to Portomarin

* Several of the new walkers kept me awake by loudly coming into the room noisily & repeatedly after lights out, then finally drunkenly dropping into bed 2.5 hours after the standard curfew time. In the morning (after standard lights-on time) I returned the favour by packing next to their beds, and accidentally shining the head torch in their faces. The Camino has taught me quite a few things, but turning the other cheek isn´t yet one of them.


* About 3 weeks ago the soles of my hiking boots wore through. I kept them usable by spending an obcene amount in insoles (some of the Parmacists along the camino know they have a captive market for shoe/foot/knee products). And today I found out that my shoes are no longer waterproof. Walking for 5 hours in wet shoes isn´t all that pleasant. It´s traditional at the end of the Camino to burn your shoes. I´m looking farwards to fulfilling that tradition.


* About half an hour from our destination the weather changes from hot t-shirt weather to pelting rain. In seconds, we´ve got the backpacks off, havwe found and donned our heavy rain jackets, have the backpacks back on, and are on our way.


* During the days we both carry about 12 or 13kgs for 20 to 30kms each day. We climb the steepest ascents at the speed we used to power walk around the flat paths at Albert Park Lake. Yet every night after dinner, we hobble out of the restaurants as though we´re 150 years old. All the pilgrims have the same walk at night. It´s easy to tell who the locals are... they´re the only ones not limping. But all the pilgrims have an extra twinkle in their eye.















1 comment:

Unknown said...

ah! the camino walk - I thought we all looked like we had a bad case of piles! but isn't it amazing that the next morning you can walk normally again? The body is a miraculous thing! Loving your photos too! Great photos too Jason. (I'm a photographer but chose to only carry a small compact due to weight issues) I hated the psyche of the crowds from Sarria - the new pilgrims were in party mode all the time and didn't understand our weariness......hey, but that's life!