Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 39: 7/06/09:Palas de Rei to Ribadiso (28.5kms walked)




















* Every few minutes for an hour or two, we hear a gunshot somewhere nearby. We never find out what it was, but I suspect it may have something to do with the red meat industry. I decide to have mixed salad for dinner tonight.


* 39 days down, 2 to go. Then we hit Santiago where we can finally sit down for a few days. We´re a little road weary. We both want to still walk the extra 90kms to Finisterra on the west coast, but we need to rest our feet first. And I think we´ve earned a celebratory drink.


* Upon arriving at the albergue each afternoon, I have a different priority. Sometimes it is a quick nap; sometimes food; sometimes a self-provided foot massage. Today was the third consecutive day we´ve spent walking in the pouring rain, so my main priority was a warm shower. Followed by a quick nap. Followed by some lunch. Deciding this sequence is one of the primary chores of the afternoon.


* We have only 2 more days on the road. It´s been weird for the last few days. For so many weeks we´ve been seeing the kilometer markers count down through the hundreds. 760kms... 740kms... 500kms... 400kms. And now we´re finally into double digits. 50kms... 45kms... 40kms. The destination of Santiago de Compostella seemed like a pipedream for so long, but we´ll hit it with only 2 more days of walking. They´re both short easy days -- maybe 5 or 6 hours of gentle downhill on both days. I think we´re both ready to finish this walk. Our bodies have picked up a fair amount of wear and tear over the last 750ish-kms, and our heads are craving a break for the daily communal living. But we´ve already decided our route for the extra 90kms to Finisterra. And we´re already talking about our packing list for our next Camino.


From Hannah:


* Today is our 13th consecutive day without a hotel and/or rest day. I know so because I counted and I know so because my whole body is telling me.


* Xunta albergues in Galicia are only 3€, including the one at Ribadiso, however this town has no other amenities so following showers, lunch and a snooze, the only option is the attached bar. Here I opt for 2 primeros (entrees) and no secundos (main course). I get sick of the meat and oily chips.





No comments: