Saturday, January 31, 2009

Wee and me

So. Let's get it out there straight away. Urination. This post is about urination. Not in general and not conceptually - me, very personally, and my urination. Look away if you'd like to. I'll try to make my next post low on squeamishness.

When it comes to wee, boys have a level of physical freedom that us girls have simply had to come to terms with. It's not that we want to be boys; it's just a natural yearning to be unencumbered, devil-may-care; to roam long and far in any earthly direction without having that little bean of an idea tucked away in the back of your mind. You know the one. It's thinking, "I'm going to have to go to the bathroom at some point...and that means my pants at my ankles and my bare bot a few centimeters from a melee of animals, rotting plants and dung.

A couple weeks ago I became reacquainted with a thing called the WhizBiz. I'd heard of this some years ago, pre-Camino, when it was being marketed as a solution to really long toilet queues at music festivals. It's a ladies' wee aid, a device that allows a woman to wee whilst standing. It looks kind of like a specially adapted funnel:


It's hydrophobic, meaning liquid does not like being on it. It's antibacterial, meaning it is not an inviting place for bacteria to stay and breed. It's good to give it a rinse after use, but it's not necessary after every use. Just give it a flick and pop it in a ziploc bag.

This morning, I took my first real wee standing up. It didn't run down my legs. The lily (the wide mouth) didn't overflow. It felt perfectly comfortable. And the thought of free peeing was deeply, inexplicably exhilirating.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stage 2: take it to a pub and use it, at a urinal of course. (Hrmm, is that a dare?)

arg zero said...

hehehe, that's pretty much what Dad said:
"Tell Hannah she isn't a real man until she can write her name on a urinal wall!"

:-D

Anonymous said...

Please post a picture of you using your wee thing.
I need a more accurate understanding of how it is actually used

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!! I wish I had one of those when I was camping.

Angela said...

Can you please make the 'Posted by Hannah/Jason' line a bit bigger? I was VERY confused as I started to read this because I assumed Jason wrote it all. And I'd just been thinking how sweet it was of him to buy those passport holders!