Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 16: Things That Go Bump In The Night

In San Juan de Ortega, we stayed in a room of 19 pilgrims, with an additional 40ish people in the rooms next to us. When you have that many strangers nearby, and you´re sleeping with your wallets, passposts, and in our case, several thousand dollars of photography equipment near by, you tend to sleep lightly.

Last night I´d been awake since 2:30am listening to Spanish language lessons on the iPod. There´s no English translation (they´re supposed to be used in conjunction with a book we left in Melbourne), so it´s not all that effective, but it´s one of those things you do at that time of the night.

Anyway, at about 3:30am I saw the door open a little and someone came into the room, closing the door behind them. It was pitch black so I silenced the iPod and tried to work out where they were. I couldn´t see exactly where, but I knew they´d stopped near the foot of our bed, near the bags, and they were just standing there.

I waited; they waited.

My sleeping bag was half unzipped and I had the height advantage of being on the top bunk. I lay there, coiled like Chuck Norris (Chuck Norris doesn´t sleep... he waits).

I waited; they waited.

In the end I shone the iPod in that direction and could see their silouette standing right at the foot of the bed next to our bags.

It took a few seconds in the dim light to recognise Hannah. She´d simply been to the loo and was waiting for here eyes to adjust before climbing over the bags back into bed.

* tee-hee *

No comments: